Prisonsucks.com is a clearinghouse for useful, verifiable statistics about the crime control industry. Too often prison activists use statistics that are out of date, provided without citation or simply wrong. One of these days the public will start listening to prison activists, so let's be prepared to win without being sidetracked by arguments over defective statistics. In some cases, the numbers we need don't exist. In others, the facts exist but activists don't know where to find them. Now you do. Start at prisonsucks.com.
- The fence image in the banner is a detail of an image licensed from istockphoto.
- The graphs used in the banner were produced by the Prison Policy Initiative from research in the The Prison Index: Taking The Pulse of the Crime Control Industry
This site could not exist without the help of third party tools and scripts:
- Gossamer Threads' Links 2.0 software powers the Visitor Links, Research, Factsheet and Music pages and their respective RSS feeds. The Visitor Links are almost virtually a standard installation of Links. The fesearch, factsheet and music databases are managed by a heavily modified version. You can get our modifications to these scripts on our software page.
- The mailing list is powered by Mailman although the setup was kindly done by our webhost Pair Networks.
- Image rotator used in in the banner is from the NMS CGI project